IVF with PGT for advanced maternal age offers many benefits
The doctors at our Tennessee fertility clinic can help patients build their family through IVF with PGT for advanced maternal age. In vitro fertilization (IVF) with preimplantation genetic testing (PGT) is a highly effective treatment option. It can often help patients overcome fertility issues.
A woman’s egg quantity and quality diminish as she ages. By the time she reaches 40, she has less than a 5% chance of conceiving. As a result, fertility specialists often recommend IVF with PGT because it helps to ensure the transfer of a healthy embryo.
The basics of IVF with PGT for advanced maternal age
While IVF is a popular fertility treatment on its own, IVF with PGT provides an additional layer of support. This process includes the following steps.
- Fertility medications. This treatment option begins with standard IVF protocol. The woman takes ovulation induction medications and receives regular monitoring.
- Egg retrieval. After the woman’s eggs are mature, her doctor retrieves them through a simple procedure. The woman will receive light sedation to keep her comfortable.
- Fertilization. The next step involves fertilizing the woman’s eggs in a lab with sperm from her partner or a sperm donor.
- Biopsy. After a few days, an embryologist performs a biopsy on the resulting embryos. The biopsy consists of making a small hole in the embryo and safely removing multiple cells. All biopsied cells come from the portion of the embryo that develops into the placenta, while the inner cell mass that creates the baby is untouched.
- Freezing. After the biopsy, the embryos are flash frozen using a state-of-the-art technology called vitrification.
- Genetic screening. The next step of IVF with PGT for advanced maternal age involves testing the biopsied cells for chromosomal abnormalities.
- Results. Our Tennessee fertility clinic doctors can use the results to help patients decide which embryo to transfer.
One of the many benefits of this treatment plan is that it provides peace of mind. Patients no longer wonder which of their embryos are chromosomally normal.
The additional benefits of genetic testing
Another advantage of IVF with PGT for advanced maternal age is that it helps prevent a pregnancy with multiples. Our Tennessee fertility clinic doesn’t need to transfer multiple embryos in hopes that one will be healthy. They already have assurance that the embryo being transferred is euploid, or chromosomally normal.
To alleviate many of the challenges that come with infertility, we work closely with patients to help them discover the fertility treatment plan that offers the best chance of fulfilling their dream of parenthood. Contact us for more information about our fertility services.
Ovation Fertility Stories Meet Claudia and Grayson
Surviving cancer and starting a family