The importance of fertility testing when trying to conceive
The doctors at our Tennessee fertility clinic stress the importance of fertility testing, as it can make a big difference when women and men are trying to conceive. Many people spend a significant amount of time trying to have a baby before realizing that they need expert support. Because of this, it’s wise to receive fertility evaluations after trying to conceive for a certain period.
What you need to know about the importance of fertility testing
The doctors at our Tennessee fertility clinic strive to discover a patient’s fertility challenges before they become too significant. As a result, we recommend fertility testing for women under the age of 35 after they’ve tried to conceive for 12 months. Additionally, our doctors recommend that women over 35 receive testing after trying to become pregnant for six months. The doctor will order certain fertility evaluations based on the patient’s unique circumstances.
- Transvaginal ultrasound. This test allows the doctor to assess the health of a woman’s uterus and ovaries.
- Bloodwork. Blood tests can reveal information about a woman’s ovarian reserve (egg supply) and hormone levels. Male patients might also receive bloodwork if the doctor believes hormonal imbalances are affecting his fertility.
- Hysterosalpingogram, or HSG. This is a simple procedure that can help the doctor discover blockages in a woman’s fallopian tubes. It can also help doctors determine whether the uterus has issues that could prevent the implantation of an embryo.
- Semen analysis. Male patients often receive a semen analysis so that a specialist can assess their sperm count, motility (movement) and morphology (shape).
- Preconception genetic screening. Male and female patients often undergo genetic testing to determine whether they have any inheritable genetic conditions that they could pass to their children.
- Minimally invasive surgical evaluation. In some cases, the patient will require more extensive testing like a laparoscopy or a hysteroscopy.
A key component of the importance of fertility testing is that it helps the patient discover why they’ve been having trouble conceiving.
Next steps after fertility testing
Following the fertility evaluations, the doctor reviews the results and helps the patient understand the findings. From there, they work with the patient to create a customized treatment plan. During this time, the doctor presents all the treatment options that could be a fit for the patient’s unique fertility needs. He or she also helps the patient understand success rates and costs.
Our Tennessee fertility clinic walks patients through each step of this process, helping to ensure they understand all their options and have the best chance of becoming parents. Contact us to learn more about the importance of fertility testing.Tweet